Intertextile Shanghai Apparel and Fabrics Show in Review
Stories | September 15, 2023
For the first time since COVID -19, we were very happy to return to Intertextile Shanghai Apparel and Fabrics (ITS), the world’s largest textile exhibition that took place August 28-30. According to Messe Frankfurt, show organizers, ITS drew over 4,000 exhibitors from 27 countries and welcomed over 67,000 industry professionals.
To uphold our longstanding tradition of supporting our major mill partners at ITS, we had 24 partners hailing from East China, South China, and Korea co-exhibit with us in our Hyosung Pavilion, which was consistently flowing with colleagues interested in our new sustainable textile solutions which include the following yarn technologies:
- creora® bio-based spandex/elastane: USDA and SGS-certified spandex partly made with renewable resources, providing reduced carbon emissions compared to production of conventional spandex. According to a recent third-party LCA, the manufacture of 1kg of creora® bio-based spandex reduces its carbon footprint by 20 percent and decreases water use by 50 precent compared to the production of 1kg conventional spandex.
- regen ocean nylon: GRS-certified, 100% recycled nylon made from discarded fishing nets. Third party LCA data shows that the manufacture of 1kg regen ocean post-consumer recycled nylon reduces CO2 emissions by 73%, fossil resource use by 75%, and water consumption by 98% compared to the manufacture of 1 kg of conventional nylon.
- creora® Color+ spandex/elastane: a special acid/reactive dyeable spandex that has the same performance stretch characteristics our creora® PowerFit, with the added benefit of providing long-lasting richer colors in nylon and natural fiber blends.
- creora® EasyFlex elastane: This soft stretch elastane leads to a more flexible fit and simplified sizing embracing body positivity.
Concept garments made with these fibers along with our Fashion Design Center’s (FDC) FW 2526 Textile Trends were on display.
The second evening of the show, we hosted a mill partner dinner with over 300 in attendance! Our China President, Mr. CH Lee addressed the attendees with a short speech followed by a presentation titled Global Apparel Market Dynamics with a focus on sustainability, which is available upon request.
Show Take Aways
- Sustainability was a major theme at the show with the realization that a recycled fiber position is not enough – it needs to include other sustainable initiatives such bio-based, biodegradable, circularity, carbon-capture and regenerative.
- Post-consumer recycled fibers especially ocean-bound recycling products are getting attention.
- Natural fibers, such as cotton, silk, and modal, blended with synthetics to achieve a soft, natural surface touch with performance benefits is trending for outdoor and active sports.
- Super lightweight wovens were shown many fabric mills. Especially, lightweight performance fabrics activewear that can be easily packable for travel and outdoors.